Return to Life: Breast Cancer Recovery Using Pilates
Cancer is a disease that affects both mind and body. More and more cancer survivors are coming to health-fitness professionals to regain strength, mobility, and endurance. Pilates principles and movements are great for restoring function to Breast Cancer Survivors. You can incorporate these principles for your group fitness and personal training clients without being certified or highly experienced in Pilates. This course provides sound information about breast cancer and its process, along with several exercise video clips to aid you in working with breast cancer clients to help them regain a connection to their body. Use these principles to facilitate your cancer survivors’ “return to life.”
Authors:Naomi Aaronson MA OTR/L CHT Certified Cancer Exercise Trainer, Ann Marie Turo OTR/L Yoga/Pilates Instructor Reiki Master
Education Level: Intermediate, Advanced
- Online Interactive Course
- Online Quiz (45 multiple choice questions. Minimum passing score 75%)
- Briefly describe 7 types of breast cancer and breast cancer staging.
- Discuss the psychological, psychosocial, and cognitive effects of breast cancer.
- Describe six surgical options for breast cancer.
- Describe how 6 anatomical structures are affected by breast cancer surgery.
- Discuss the general process and three phases for breast cancer surgery rehabilitation.
- Describe three rehabilitative issues for breast cancer surgery recovery:
- 5 pain related issues
- 3 systemic treatments
- Discuss professional responsibilities when working with breast cancer clients including general guidelines, questions to ask your clients, and 6 recommended general assessments.
- Describe the Pilates principles, Pilates equipment, and 8 Pilates pearls.
- Identify 17 benefits of Pilates and 9 things to be mindful of when working with breast cancer survivors.
- Describe the anatomy of Pilates including 5 anatomical structures.
- Identify 4 Pilates principles important to practical application of exercises.
- Explain how to safely and effectively perform 6 Pilates exercises for Phase 1 recovery.
- Explain how to safely and effectively perform 7 Pilates exercises for Phase 2 recovery.
- Explain how to safely and effectively perform 8 Pilates exercises for Phase 3 recovery with progression.
- Identify 3 options for breast symmetry after a mastectomy.
|0.6||National Association for Fitness Certification (NAFC)|
|0.6||Action Personal Trainer Certification|
|6.0||American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)|
|6.0||American Fitness Professional Association (AFPA)|
|0.6||American Kinesiotherapy Association (COPS-KT)|
|6.0||International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)|
|0.4||National Council for Certified Personal Trainers (NCCPT)|
|3.0||National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF)|
|1.0||National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT)|
|6.0||National Strength Professionals Association (NSPA)|
|6.0||Sara’s City Workout (SCW)|
|6.0||World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.)|