Introduction to Parkinson's Disease
The incidence of Parkinson’s disease is seen in all races. Almost 10 million individuals worldwide are affected by Parkinson’s disease and the number is increasing as people live longer. Health-fitness professionals who work with the general public and older adults will encounter clients and patients with Parkinson’s disease. Understanding the basics of the disease allows professionals to recognize disease progression and be aware of and learn how to manage numerous possible symptoms and related problems, allowing those with PD to live longer with better quality of life.
Authors: Abdul Qayyum Rana, MD FRCPC, FRCP (HON)
Education Level: Intermediate, Advanced
Prerequisites: Recommended Basic Certification in Fitness Field Minimum
- Online Interactive Course
- Online Quiz (50 multiple choice questions. Minimum passing score 75%)
- Define Parkinson’s disease, parkinsonism, and discuss the history of the disease.
- List and describe the 4 classifications of parkinsonism.
- Recognize the statistics of Parkinson’s, the 5 risk factors, and neuroprotective factors.
- Recognize the basic anatomy of the nervous system and describe the brain’s role in Parkinson’s.
- Discuss the cause and pathophysiology of Parkinson’s
- Identify 4 motor symptoms and 13 non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s.
- Describe the physical limitations and diagnosis of Parkinson’s.
- Identify staging for Parkinson’s
- Describe 4 aspects of treatment for Parkinson’s.
- Explain how to safely and effectively perform 12 exercises for advanced Parkinson’s disease.
|0.4||National Association for Fitness Certification (NAFC)|
|4.0||American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)|
|4.0||American Fitness Professional Association (AFPA)|
|0.4||American Kinesiotherapy Association (COPS-KT)|
|0.4||Aquatic Therapy & Rehabilitation Institute (ATRI)|
|4.0||International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)|
|2.0||National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF)|
|0.8||National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT)|
|4.0||National Strength Professionals Association (NSPA)|
|4.0||Sara’s City Workout (SCW)|
|4.0||World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.)|