Essential Exercises for Cancer Patients and Survivors
Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States. It is a very serious diagnosis with a multifaceted approach starting from identification all the way through treatment. Cancer patients are now encouraged to exercise during and after treatment. This course includes important information for health-fitness professionals about cancer and exercise guidelines. Videos guide you through a simple exercise progression for clients with cancer or who are cancer survivors. In the search for a cure, physical activity proves a valuable tool in prevention, treatment, and a progressive return to daily living activities. Learn how to embrace this client base and provide safe and effective programming options.
Authors:Tina Schmidt-McNulty MS, RCEP, RN
Education Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Online Interactive Course
- Online Quiz (20 multiple choice questions. Minimum passing score 75%)
- Discuss and recognize cancer facts, types, 2 stages, 5 risk factors, and multiple causes.
- Recognize how diet and physical activity can play a role in all aspects of cancer.
- Discuss 5 treatments used in the cancer process.
- Describe the role exercise plays in prevention, progression, and rehabilitation of cancer.
- Describe 13 exercise contraindications and 6 special considerations for clients with cancer.
- Recognize safe and effective basic exercise guidelines for cardiorespiratory, resistance, and flexibility training for clients with cancer or recovering from cancer.
- Describe safe and effective basic resistance training exercises for 5 basic muscle groups with varying levels to be used for clients in various stages of the cancer process and recommendations for flexibility exercises.