Breast Cancer Recovery: On Land and in Water
There are over 2 million breast cancer survivors in the United States today. Due to the ramifications of treatment, exercise is a modality that can be used to facilitate recovery. Numerous studies have demonstrated that exercise can improve quality of life, reduce side effects of treatment, and improve strength and endurance. This course will help health-fitness professionals understand diagnosis, treatment, and ongoing care for cancer patients and survivors. Important guidelines and information are provided for safe and effective exercise through course and multimedia content. Embrace this client base with practical exercise options to improve recovery and function.
Authors:Naomi Aaronson MA OTR/L CHT and Mary Essert BA ATRIC
Education Level: Intermediate, Advanced
- Online Interactive Course
- Online Quiz (40 multiple choice questions. Minimum passing score 75%)
- Discuss breast cancer and research about exercise and breast cancer.
- List and describe the 4 stages of breast cancer.
- Identify the anatomical structures involved with breast cancer including the breast, 6 muscles, the neurological system, and the lymphatic system.
- Describe breast cancer treatments including 10 local treatments and 4 systemic treatments.
- Identify 7 breast cancer post surgical implications.
- Identify the stages and discuss the symptoms, risk, and treatment of lymphedema.
- Identify the implications, benefits, exercise goals, and daily living recommendations for breast cancer clients with lymphedema for both land and water exercise.
- Recognize 9 goals for exercise program design for clients with breast cancer.
- Describe the role of client information, physician consent, client referral, and 5 fitness assessments for breast cancer clients in the fitness assessment process.
- Recognize 7 aspects of exercise guidelines for the breast cancer client.
- Describe basic recommendations for exercise, equipment use, and 16 helpful hints for exercise programs for breast cancer clients.
- Explain how to safely and effectively perform 4 level 1, 9 level 2, 9 lymphedema exercises and a sample program for land exercise for clients with breast cancer.
- Explain how to safely and effectively perform 2 warm up exercises, 6 warm up stretches, 13 range of motion exercises, 6 aerobic conditioning exercises, 6 cool down exercises and a sample program for water exercises for breast cancer clients.
- Identify 6 tips for marketing a breast cancer exercise program.
|0.4||National Association for Fitness Certification (NAFC)|
|0.4||Action Personal Trainer Certification|
|4.0||American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)|
|4.0||American Fitness Professional Association (AFPA)|
|0.4||American Kinesiotherapy Association (COPS-KT)|
|0.4||Aquatic Therapy & Rehabilitation Institute (ATRI)|
|4.0||International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)|
|0.3||National Council for Certified Personal Trainers (NCCPT)|
|2.0||National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF)|
|0.5||National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT)|
|4.0||National Strength Professionals Association (NSPA)|
|4.0||Sara’s City Workout (SCW)|
|4.0||World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.)|