Group Fitness Instructor
Join the New Wave of Group Fitness Instruction
Group Fitness Instructor Certification Information
- Minimum GED or High School Diploma required.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must have and maintain a CPR/AED certification.
Course Education Level: Intermediate
Continuing Education Credits: 3.0 NAFC, 3.0 NESTA
How it Works:
When you sign up for your Group Fitness Certification…
- You must complete all course modules.
- You must take a written examination with a passing score of 80% or higher.
- We recommend our students to purchase and complete a virtual or live workshop to ensure a passing score of 80% or higher. (included in All Inclusive and Self Study Virtual programs)
- If you choose to take the practical test without a live or virtual workshop, you are allowed 2 testing attempts before the workshop is required.
- You must complete your practical examination with a passing score of 80% or higher.
- You must submit a 15-20 minute video for the virtual workshop evaluation
- Time to Complete: You have up to 18 Months to complete Examination Process
- Course Access: Continued access with updates available
- Your NAFC group fitness certification is valid for 24 months. During that 24 months you must complete continuing education prior to your renewal date to qualify for re-certification.
- Recertification is required to keep you up to date with industry standards and practice. You must complete and submit 20 hours (2.0 NAFC credits) of continuing education in a 24 month period of time prior to your renewal date and complete a re-certification application to be recertified.
Master the basic disciplines of aerobic movement and choreography which will allow you to instruct a wide range of general fitness and sport-targeted programs such as group strength training, kickboxing, dance, mind-body classes and much more! Learn the skills needed to teach effective and stimulating classes in response to a diverse range of fitness and health needs.
Group Fitness Instructor Required Course Material:
Group Fitness Program Interactive Self Study Content
- Group Fitness Certification Introduction Document
- Group Fitness Instructor Interactive Study or Downloadable Group Fitness Instructor Manual (Click here to see course objectives)
- Group Fitness Instructor Study Guide
- Group Fitness Theory Exam
Group Fitness Instructor Virtual Workshop Content:
To complete certification, you must participate in either a Live Workshop (live workshop calendar on website) or a Virtual Workshop (see details below) and achieve a passing grade on the Practical Exam. You can also request a Practical Exam Online.
- Study Guides and Materials
- Group Fitness Instructor Virtual Workshop Videos
- Group Fitness Practical Evaluation Guidelines
- Group Fitness Video Evaluation Directions
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Discuss the history and evolution of group fitness.
- Identify the key physical activity guidelines and recommendations for the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.
- Describe 3 recommendations for safe exercise progression.
- Describe recommendations for warm up including 4 proprioception preparations, checking dynamic posture, and the ANSWER principle.
- Discuss the importance of variety in movement, rest, overexertion and rate of perceived exertion in exercise.
- Explain the agonist and antagonist muscle relationship in movement and exercise.
- Identify 3 planes of motion, 9 anatomical directional terms, 21 anatomical movement terms, and movement at 11 joints in the body.
- Describe the mechanisms of muscle tissue and the role of 3 levers in human movement.
- Describe the anatomy and structure of joints.
- Discuss 4 components of physical fitness including the FITT guidelines and their relationship to conducting a group fitness class.
- Explain methods for monitoring intensity during exercise.
- Identify 3 impact options and exercises commonly used in group fitness programming.
- Describe three types of group fitness choreography, transitioning in movement, and the role of music in group fitness.
- Explain components, movements, safety and effectiveness, and types of cardiorespiratory group fitness classes.
- Explain components, movements, equipment, safety and effectiveness, and types of cardio resistance training classes.
- Explain components, movements, equipment, safety and effectiveness, and types of cardio step training classes.
- Explain components, movements, equipment, safety and effectiveness, and types of cardio martial arts classes.
- Discuss the importance of muscle flexibility and its roles in group fitness classes.
- Explain how to safely and effectively perform flexibility exercise.
- Identify and discuss the role of the 6 essential nutrients in energy production and dietary guidelines.
- Describe 11 best practices in group fitness instruction.
Additional Certification Options
If you are confident in your ability to pass general fitness, anatomy & physiology, and group fitness essentials without first studying the NAFC study course material, this option would be for you.
To become certified with the National Association for Fitness Certification, you must pass both the theory exam and practical exam with a minimum score of 80%. If you receive a no pass on the theory exam, a retake will be necessary. The retake cost is $25.00. When you have completed and passed the theory exam, you may schedule a virtual assessment with an NAFC Evaluator via your NAFC student portal to complete the practical portion of this program.
If you are unsure, then you would benefit from our complete online course or virtual workshop options.
*You will not receive any study materials with this option, so ensure that you have a complete understanding of the education required to pass the exam prior to purchasing.
Feel free to contact an NAFC Career Consultant for help in selecting the best option for you.
Most students learn and retain information at a higher level through audio/visual demonstration and explanation. For this reason, NAFC has always recommended attending one of our live workshops. However, if attending a live workshop is not convenient for you, then enrolling in a virtual workshop is the answer!
NAFC virtual workshops offer the same level of education and training as our live workshops but allow you to take the workshop home with you and conveniently stream on your computer or device.
Gain a comprehensive understanding of practical application techniques and core concepts.
Let our expert trainers and instructors visually guide you as they demonstrate hands-on skills and pro-tips that will prepare you for your practical exam and your career.
The NAFC Job Placement Money Back Guarantee assures that you will secure a job in the health and fitness industry within 90 days of completing all certification and career management requirements.
Included at a discount with NAFC Certifications “All-Access” Option
NAFC is committed to providing you with all the tools you need to build a successful and rewarding career.
Not only do we offer a money-back guarantee opportunity, but we also connect you with a Career Management Specialist who will work hand-in-hand with you as your personal career advocate and help place you in the best possible job to match your skill-set.
Your Career Management Specialist will provide you with all of the following services:
- Qualify you for jobs in the health and fitness industry
- Gain an understanding of the type of job/career you want
- Inquire about any special skills you may possess and/or CECs received
- Direct you toward available positions in your area
- Advice on ‘Career Tools’ that will help improve your expertise
- Work to place you with fitness and health companies
- Help you improve your visibility to companies
- Assist in creating resumes and cover letters
- Assist in preparing you for the interviewing process
- Post a video which serves as an introduction to possible employers and provides evidence of your skills as a trainer.
These services are included with your purchase of the NAFC Job Placement Guarantee at no additional charge.
Job Placement Guarantee Guidelines
If you have met all the required criteria but still have not secured a job within 90 days of completion, NAFC will refund all amounts paid to NAFC for the course package. This money back guarantee applies to the NAFC Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, and Nutrition Coach course packages only.
To receive this refund, you must have applied for at least 5 positions related to the purchased NAFC certification within the 90-day period and have met the criteria for each position (including passing any required background checks). Failure to appear for a scheduled interview will disqualify you from this money back guarantee.
You must also have met with an NAFC Career Management Specialist and satisfied any additional requirements that they assign.
Any refund must be requested from NAFC’s Member Services Department within 12 months of purchasing the NAFC course (with Job Placement Guarantee). NAFC reserves the right to request evidence of purchase and/or of job applications and rejections. NAFC may, at any time and without prior notice, change the terms of, or discontinue, this Job Placement Money Back Guarantee.